So inspiring to see nature’s springtime growth especially blooms!
Here’s a recipe for a Kapha pacifying salad:
Rainbow Wild Rice Salad (serves 4-6)
2 c. of wild rice, cooked
1/2 c. of each of red & yellow peppers, diced
1/2 c. pecans
2 tbsp. cranberries
1/2 c. water chestnuts
2 tbsp. of green onions, white parts only, chopped
1/4 c. rice vinegar
1/2 c. olive oil
In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and toss. In a jar, combine dressing ingredients and shake well. Pour over the salad, toss again and enjoy!
Adapted from The Modern Ayurvedic Cookbook, Amrita Sondhi
Spring time is when nature starts to melt, move, and grow.
Here’s a Kapha tea that may help with clearing away congestion and flush out ama (toxins):
1 tsp. of cumin seeds
1/2 tsp. of coriander seeds
1 cinnamon stick
8 fresh basil leaves
Add a splash of fresh squeezed lemon juice & a little raw honey to taste in your cup!
Place the ingredients in a medium saucepan with about 4 c. of filtered water. Bring the water to boil for 5 -10 minutes, and then steep for 5 minutes. Strain into a tea pot or thermos. It is beneficial to sip warm teas throughout the day during this spring transition!
Adapted from Eat,Taste,Heal.
This is one of my favorite recipes! Warming & flavorful!
- ¼ c. ghee
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 red jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. peeled and minced ginger root
- 2 small firm apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. turmeric pwd. (or 1 inch of freshly chopped)
- ¼ tsp. cardamom
- ¼ tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ c. red lentils (uncooked)
- 3 c. chicken or vegetable broth
- ⅔ c. coconut milk
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ c. roasted cashews
- ½ c. chopped scallions
- Melt butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, and jalapeno, then saute for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the onions have softened.
- Add the garlic, ginger, apples, and diced tomatoes to the pot. Saute for another 3 minutes, then add in all of the spices and toss to coat. Add in the lentils and broth and let the contents come to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Puree about 75% of the ingredients using either an immersion blender or by transferring a portion of the contents to the bowl of a standard blender. Leave some of the chunks whole, as it adds a nice texture and consistency to the soup. Return the soup to the pot if needed, then stir in the coconut milk. Taste, and adjust salt and black pepper as needed.
- Serve topped with cashew and scallions along with naan bread for dipping.
Recipe by The Wanderlust Kitchen
“In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer.”
Moving into the Vata time of year.….
I move with the infinite in Nature’s power.
I hold the fire of the soul.
I hold life and healing.
Warm Cardamom Milk (Vata pacifying):
2 cups organic whole milk
2 tsp. ghee
1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
1 Tb. finely ground cashews
3 or 4 strands saffron
- Place all the ingredients in a sauce pot, over medium heat bring to a boil, stirring frequently,
- Pour into mugs & enjoy!
Yarema, M.D.,Thomas. Rhoda,D.A.S.. Brannigan,Johnny. Eat, Taste, Heal.Hawaii: Five Elements Press,2006.
And Pitta Season!
Elements: composed of fire and water
Meaning: “that which digests things”
Qualities: oily, sharp, moving, liquid, penetrating, hot, light, and acidic
General tips to help pacify Pitta during the Summer season:
- Avoid stimulants and acidic foods; follow a pitta-pacifying diet.
- Include walks in nature, time for self-reflection and meditation as part of your daily routine.
- Keep the body & mind cool – avoid overheating.
- Exercise in a manner that is not too competitive or overexercise.
- Work on keeping your schedule within your healthy, natural limits.
Here’s a wonderful Pitta pacifying drink:
REJUVENATING MANGO DRINK
• 1 cup mango juice
• 1 tsp ghee
• pinch of cardamom
• pinch of saffron
Blend these ingredients together and enjoy!
This drink will bring energy and vitality to your entire being!