This is one of my favorite recipes! Warming & flavorful!
- ¼ c. ghee
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 red jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. peeled and minced ginger root
- 2 small firm apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. turmeric pwd. (or 1 inch of freshly chopped)
- ¼ tsp. cardamom
- ¼ tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ c. red lentils (uncooked)
- 3 c. chicken or vegetable broth
- ⅔ c. coconut milk
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ c. roasted cashews
- ½ c. chopped scallions
- Melt butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, and jalapeno, then saute for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the onions have softened.
- Add the garlic, ginger, apples, and diced tomatoes to the pot. Saute for another 3 minutes, then add in all of the spices and toss to coat. Add in the lentils and broth and let the contents come to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Puree about 75% of the ingredients using either an immersion blender or by transferring a portion of the contents to the bowl of a standard blender. Leave some of the chunks whole, as it adds a nice texture and consistency to the soup. Return the soup to the pot if needed, then stir in the coconut milk. Taste, and adjust salt and black pepper as needed.
- Serve topped with cashew and scallions along with naan bread for dipping.
Recipe by The Wanderlust Kitchen